The Directorate of Open and Distance Learning (DODL), Dibrugarh University was established to reach the unreached. Due to limited number of seats in post-graduate and under-graduate classes, a large number of students fail to enroll themselves as regular students of Dibrugarh University. In view of the necessity of enabling the youths who are either employed or self-employed and who are unable to prosecute higher education due to economic or other reasons, the University has set the vision of taking Higher Education to the doorsteps of the learners.
The major Objectives of the Directorate was:
1. To provide access to quality higher education to the people of the region who are deprived of higher education due to various reasons.
2. To provide higher education to those who wish to upgrade or acquire knowledge through studies in various field.
3. To develop knowledge and skills in different areas which are hitherto covered by formal education system existing in the North-East Region.
4. To promote research in different fields.
5. To provide guidance and counseling to its students.
Margherita College Contact Centre (Study Centre) was permitted in the year 2002 and the Exam Centre is duly permitted in the year 2012 due to its good reputation, creditability and performance of the learners. Since the time of opening the Contact Centre (Study Centre) in the 2002, the centre is providing noteworthy services to all the candidates who desired to pursue higher studies (Post Graduation) in the selected subjects offered by the centre and were duly permitted by the Dibrugarh University.
In compliance of the UGC (Open and Distance Learning Programmes and Online Programmes) Regulations 2020 and as approved by the Board of Management of the Directorate of Open and Distance Learning (DODL) in its 63rd meeting held on 12-12-23 the name of the Directorate of Open and Distance Learning (DODL), Dibrugarh University was rechristened as Centre for Distance and Online Education (CDOE), Dibrugarh University.